Toggle Menu
Navigate This Section


Advanced Standing

Monmouth College recognizes both the Advanced Placement Program (APP) and the International Baccalaureate Program (IBP).

APP credit is granted for examinations receiving a score of 3 or better in disciplines offered by the College.

IBP credit is granted in the following manner. Five semester hours is granted for each of the three IBP Higher Level Examinations passed with a score of 4 or better. Fifteen additional hours of credit will be granted to students who possess the IBP Diploma and who have passed the three standard level examinations with scores of at least 4 on each of the examinations.

In both cases the assignment of credit toward Monmouth College general education requirements will be made on an individual basis by the Registrar in consultation with the appropriate academic departments.

In addition, placement without credit may be granted on the basis of a test administered by a department.

Credit by Examination

A student in good academic standing may earn credit in a course, but no grades, through satisfactory performance on an examination which is administered by the department concerned. The exam must be sufficiently comprehensive to prove mastery of the course. Such an examination may require a written part, an oral part, a term paper, and a laboratory experience. Performance at the C- level shall be the minimum acceptable; however, the individual departments may set higher standards for credit earned by examination.

A student may not earn credit by examination for any course for which credit has already been earned. A maximum of five semester credits can be earned through credit by examination.

Prior to taking such an examination, a student must contact the Registrar and secure the written approval of the advisor, the chair of the department, the instructor who will administer the examination, and the Vice President for Academic Affairs. The student shall be advised of the score of the examination and whether the department requires minimum performance of a higher level than C-.

The fee for taking the exam regardless of the outcome of the exam is one-half the tuition charge assessed per semester credit.

Enrollment in an Overload

A student may register for an overload of 19 or 20 semester hours upon approval of the advisor.

A student in the first semester of residence or on probation must also have the approval of the Admissions and Academic Status Committee of the faculty.

A student wishing to register for more than 20 semester hours must have the approval of the Admissions and Academic Status Committee. Enrollment over 18 semester hours is
charged as extra tuition at the per-semester hour rate.

Class Attendance

Students are expected to attend class and are responsible for all work assigned by the instructor. Faculty members may establish an attendance policy for any course, which must be stated in the syllabus.

When a student’s absences become excessive in the judgment of an instructor, the instructor may require that the student explain or receive permission for any further absences. This requirement is called “no-cut status.” The instructor notifies the student, the student’s advisor and the associate dean of academic affairs of the decision. Students who miss further classes without valid explanation or permission may be dismissed from the course with an F.

A student will be withdrawn from a course if he or she misses the first two meetings of a class with limited enrollment and the instructor has requested that the student be withdrawn. The student will not be withdrawn if he or she has notified the registrar in advance of the absences and the absences occur for a legitimate reason.


Students must register at the scheduled time for all courses for which they seek credit. They must assume responsibility for being properly enrolled in each course. Details of the registration process are made available online to students in a timely fashion by the Registrar’s Office. (New students select courses during the summer registration period.)

Courses are selected in consultation with the student’s faculty advisor. All changes in registration require the permission of the student’s advisor. After the first week of the semester the advisor’s signature is required for any course change and a fee is charged for each registration change. No student may add a course after the first week of classes. A course cannot be dropped after the ninth week without the written permission of the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

The Grading System

The grading system at Monmouth uses these symbols: A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, and F. Other symbols used in appropriate circumstances are W (Withdrawn Passing), WF (Withdrawn Failing), I (Incomplete), IP (In Progress), CR (Credit), NC (No Credit), AU (Audited Course), and NAU (Audited Course Requirements Not Fulfilled).

The W (WITHDRAWN PASSING) is used when the student withdraws from a course before the end of the ninth week.

To withdraw from a course after the first week, a student must have the consent of the advisor. The instructor will be notified. A student cannot withdraw from a course after the ninth week of classes except for illness or other circumstances beyond his or her control.

The approval of both the Associate Dean or Vice President for Academic Affairs and the advisor is necessary. Ordinarily the Associate Dean or Vice President for Academic Affairs will consult with the instructor of the course. If the student is permitted to withdraw after the ninth week, the instructor reports W (Withdrawn Passing) or WF (Withdrawn Failing).

If a student receives an F in a course due to an incident of academic dishonesty, the student will not be allowed to seek a grade of W or WF for the course. Rather, the F will stand as the grade of record.

THE I (INCOMPLETE) may be given when a situation arises that is beyond the student’s control and which precludes completion of required work or if the instructor needs further time for evaluation. For an incomplete grade received during the fall semester or summer session, the student will ordinarily complete the work by the end of the second week of the following semester.

For an incomplete grade received during the spring semester, the student will ordinarily have a period of three weeks, commencing immediately after the last College examination day, to complete the required work.

If the work is not completed at the end of the designated time, the Registrar will consult with the instructor as to the disposition of the grade (normally conversion to an “F” grade). It is generally the responsibility of the student to take the initiative in requesting the incomplete grade and in making arrangements with the instructor for its removal.

THE IP (IN PROGRESS) is appropriate for those courses in which the work may not normally be completed in one semester (individualized study, research, etc.). However, it is expected that the work will be completed in the subsequent semester.

If, at the end of the semester subsequent to the one in which the work began, the course requirements are not completed, the Registrar will consult with the instructor as to the disposition of the grade (normally conversion to an “F” grade).

CR (CREDIT) and NC (NO CREDIT) are the marks recorded for courses in which letter grades (A, B, and so forth) are not awarded. Such courses are noted in the catalog. Monmouth College does not offer the option to take courses on a Pass/Fail basis.

Grade-Point Average

For the purpose of computing a student’s average, A = 4, A- = 3.667, B+ = 3.333, B = 3, B- = 2.667, C+ = 2.333, C = 2, C- = 1.667, D+ = 1.333, D = 1, D- = 0.667, and F = 0. The average is determined by dividing the number of points earned during the semester by the number of graded credits carried. The cumulative grade-point average is the total of all grade points earned divided by the total number of graded credits taken. Only courses taken at Monmouth College for which final letter grades have been recorded are included in the grade-point average. Courses transferred from other institutions and courses taken after graduation are not included in the cumulative grade point average.

Repeating a Course

Repeating a course replaces both the grade and any credit previously earned for the course. Both the earlier grade and the later grade continue to be listed on the transcript, but only the most recent grade is factored into the cumulative grade point average. Repeating a course may or may not improve a student’s academic situation and could have financial aid implications. A student considering repeating a course should consult an advisor, the Registrar, and Director of Financial Aid.

Appeals and Petitions

A student has the right of appeal regarding any academic regulation to the Vice President of Academic Affairs. A student wishing to appeal a grade should first consult the instructor awarding the grade, then the chair of the department. Further appeal can be made by petitioning the Vice President for Academic Affairs, who may act or send the petition to the Admissions and Academic Status Committee of the faculty for its consideration and advice. A separate grievance procedure applies on matters related to teacher education and certification issues and the procedure in such situations is governed by the statement of Teacher Education Program Procedures.

Academic Honors

College Honors at Graduation

College Honors celebrate overall academic achievement. Students with a cumulative grade-point average of 3.50 or higher are graduated cum laude, with 3.75 or higher magna cum laude, and with 3.90 or higher summa cum laude.

Honors Scholars

Students who successfully complete the Honors Program will be recognized at Commencement; this status will also be noted on transcripts.

Departmental Honors

Departmental Honors at graduation are based on superior performance in the culminating experience of the major department, provided that the student has a grade-point average of 3.50 or higher in courses taken toward the major in that department. The department may establish additional requirements.

Eligibility for Dean's List

At the end of each semester, students earning at least 12 semester hours of letter-grade credits and achieving a grade-point average of 3.67 or higher are named to the Dean’s List.

Eligibility for Honor Roll

At the end of each semester, students earning at least 12 semester hours of letter-grade credits and achieving a grade-point average of 3.50 or higher are named to the Honor Roll.

Academic Progress and Standing

The college establishes standards for academic achievement in order to assist students in meeting their academic goals and to maintain a campus environment conducive to the mission of the college. Please refer to Table, Academic Progress Requirements (at the end of this.) p. 16.

Good academic standing

To be in good academic standing, a student must meet all of the following standards established by the faculty:

  1. Earn a minimum of 12 or more semester hours of credit each of the first six semesters and 13 hours or more per semester subsequently;
  2. Meet the cumulative GPA standard for the appropriate semester of attendance:
    • First semester of attendance: GPA of 1.6 or higher;
    • Second semester of attendance: GPA of 1.8 or higher;
    • Third semester of attendance: GPA of 1.9 or higher;
    • Fourth and subsequent semesters of attendance: GPA of 2.0 or higher; and
  3. Not be on academic probation.

Non-degree seeking students are considered to be in good academic standing when they earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 1.60 prior to completing 24 semester hours, 1.80 for 24 hours up to 48 semester hours, and 2.0 thereafter.

Separate standards apply to eligibility for financial aid, which are listed in the section, Financial Assistance Eligibility and Academic Standing, on p. 13-14.

Academic probation

Students whose low grades and/or slow accumulation of credits indicate they are at risk of being dismissed from the college are placed on academic probation. Students on academic probation are required to consult with a faculty advisor and develop a plan for returning to good academic standing. In some cases, students on probation may be restricted from participating in extracurricular activities by the Admission and Academic Status Committee for the period of probation. Academic probation is noted on the transcript.

A student on probation is required to complete at least 12 semester hours and earn a semester GPA of 2.0 or higher in order to continue at Monmouth. Failure to meet either of these requirements will result in academic dismissal. If a student meets these requirements but does not meet the standards for good academic standing at the end of the semester, the student may be continued on probation a second semester. Failure to return to good academic standing by the end of a second consecutive semester of probation will result in academic dismissal from the college.

Academic dismissal

Students may be dismissed when:

  1. The student’s cumulative GPA falls below the following standards:
    • First semester of attendance: 0.8
    • Second semester of attendance: 1.4
    • Third semester of attendance: 1.6
    • Fourth semester of attendance: 1.7
    • Fifth or subsequent semesters of attendance: 2.0
  2. The student falls significantly below the standards in cumulative hours earned.
  3. The student, while on probation, does not complete 12 semester hours and earn a 2.0 for the semester.
  4. The student has been on academic probation for two semesters and has not returned to good academic standing.
  5. In the judgment of the college, the student is not serious about seeking an education at the college or when the student’s academic performance or other behavior has become disruptive to the academic mission of the college.

Academic dismissal is noted on the transcript.

Appeal of academic dismissal

Students have the right to appeal academic dismissal. Students should send a written appeal requesting reinstatement to the Office of Academic Affairs by the deadline stated on the notification of dismissal. Normally, appeals are evaluated by the Admission and Academic Status Committee, and students are notified of the decision prior to the start of the following semester. Only in extraordinary circumstances can a student appeal the committee’s decision to the dean of the faculty, who would then render a final decision.


A student who was dismissed, has been away from the college for a semester or more, and wishes to return, must apply for readmission through the Monmouth College Admission Office.

Academic expulsion

A student may be expelled for academic reasons if performance following readmission continues to fall below college standards. Expulsion is a permanent separation of the student from the college and is noted on the transcript.

Disciplinary dismissal

A student dismissed for disciplinary reasons will be assigned a grade of WF in cases where coursework has not been completed prior to dismissal. Policies and procedures for disciplinary dismissal are published in the Scots Guide.

Transfer Policies

Transfers from other Institutions

Students who wish to transfer to Monmouth College must submit all previous official college transcripts and should meet with the transfer coordinator to discuss the application process. The Registrar will complete a transcript analysis to determine the academic status of the transfer student. Courses taken at another accredited institution are transferred provided that a grade of C- or higher was earned and that the course is acceptable at Monmouth College. Grades of transferred courses are not included in calculating grade-point averages.

No student will be allowed to exceed 62 total transfer credits. The Vice President for Enrollment admits qualified transfer students who seek to matriculate at Monmouth College. (See Admission Section of Catalog. Prior to paying the enrollment deposit and registering for classes, transfer students, with assistance from the transfer coordinator, should meet with a professor in the department in which they wish to major.

During this visit, the faculty member will identify which transfer courses count toward the major and determine the number of remaining courses required in the major. Finally, working together, the student and faculty member will design the graduation plan. This visit is essential in that it provides transfer students an opportunity to find out more about their fields of study and to estimate the projected time it will take to complete a degree at Monmouth College.

Transfer of Credit for Current Students

For students enrolled at Monmouth College, the written approval of the Registrar, the advisor, and in some cases the department chair is required in advance if courses are to be taken at another institution for transfer credit. A Transfer Work Request form is available in the Registrar’s Office and must be completed, signed, and submitted prior to enrolling in a course at another institution. A letter grade of C- or better is required for pre-approved coursework to be transferred.

Because we value a classroom-centered learning environment that involves direct engagement between the instructor and students, faculty feedback, and proctored exams, the College will accept no more than six hours of Internet, video, or correspondence coursework for transfer credit after Matriculation. Only coursework taken in a classroom setting can apply to the General Education Requirements.

No more than 31 transfer credits will be allowed after matriculation. After reaching senior status with 90 earned credit hours, at least 27 semester hours of a student’s remaining coursework must be earned at Monmouth College. (Refer to “Senior Residency Requirement” under “Requirements for the Degree” on page 15.) No student will be allowed to exceed 62 total transfer credits. The transfer of credits is not complete until the Registrar receives an official transcript from the institution at which the work was taken.

Work that is being transferred is not considered in determining a student’s academic status until the transcript is received and approved, and the credits are posted to the student’s Monmouth College transcript.

Associate Degree Transfers

The Registrar determines which transferred courses satisfy the degree requirements of Monmouth College. A community college graduate who has been admitted to Monmouth College with the Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree may be admitted with junior standing (that is, with a maximum of 62 semester hours of transfer credit).

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is required in order for a student to maintain eligibility for federal or state financial assistance. At the end of each academic semester, after final grades have been issued, the Associate Vice President for Financial Aid will verify the academic progress of each student. All periods of enrollment (Fall, Spring, and any future terms Monmouth may offer such as summer, J-term or May-term) will count toward SAP, including when a student does not receive federal/Title IV aid.

Once a student has reached the point in their college career when they have registered and enrolled for their 15th course credit (the equivalent of 60th credit hour), three components must be measured and met in order to maintain eligibility for financial aid.

"Registered Course Credits" include all transfer credits accepted by the college and all credits for which a student has officially enrolled (excluding audit classes) at Monmouth College.

Official enrollment is defined as the credits for which a student is registered at the end of the period for adding a course without a fee (typically the end of the first week of classes) or any 2nd half semester classes for which the student enrolls during the allowable period for adding a 2nd half semester course.

All remedial coursework, repeated coursework, and coursework from which a student withdraws, will be counted and calculated in the appropriate SAP formulas. When a course is repeated, only the most recent grade is used in the Qualitative – GPA calculation. However, both courses (original and repeated) will be used in the Quantitative – Pace calculation.

The three components of Satisfactory Academic Progress which must be evaluated and met are:

  1. Qualitative Standard (GPA
  2. Quantitative Standard (Incremental Pace)
  3. Maximum Time Frame (to complete a program)

Qualitative Standard (GPA)

Students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 on a 4.0 scale. A student will immediately lose eligibility for all Federal and State financial assistance if the student’s cumulative GPA falls below 2.00.

In the case of a student who receives a grade equal to "I" (Incomplete) or "IP" (In-progress), the eligibility for financial assistance for the next semester will be determined without regard for the "I" or "IP" grade. Subsequent removal of an "I" or "IP" grade and replacement of those grades with final grades may have an impact on future semesters and the eligibility for financial assistance, but it will not have a retroactive effect on semesters for which assistance has already been approved.

Quantitative Standard (Incremental Pace)

Students must also be making incremental progress (consistently earning credits) towards a degree at an acceptable pace. If however, the student is not making incremental progress towards the degree (earning at least two-thirds or 66.6% of the courses for which they are registering), a loss of eligibility for Federal and State financial assistance will occur.

Maximum Time Frame (to complete the program)

The Satisfactory Academic Progress policy contains a maximum time frame component, which allows a student to take up to 150% of the time needed to achieve and obtain a degree. (Transfer credits from another institution will be counted toward the maximum time frame but will not be counted toward the GPA.) For example, a student may take up to six years to obtain a four year bachelor’s degree and still remain eligible to receive financial assistance. Once the student has reached the 150% point in time, no further Title IV aid will be processed.


In any semester where a student has lost eligibility of financial assistance, the student may appeal to the Associate Vice President for Financial Aid for the reinstatement of eligibility. The student must show that their cumulative GPA fell to less 2.00 or they failed to make incremental progress towards a degree (as outline above) as the result of 1) the death of an immediate relative of the student, 2) a severe injury to the student, 3) a severe illness of the student, or 4) other unusual circumstances that interrupted their ability to perform academically.

If an appeal is granted and the financial aid eligibility is restored, the student will be placed on financial aid probation and will be eligible to receive financial assistance for one semester. If, at the end of the semester on financial aid probation, a student does not 1) establish a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 or 2) make incremental progress toward the degree (as outlined above), no further aid eligibility will be allowed.

Re-establishing Eligibility

A student may re-establish eligibility for financial assistance in a number of ways. 1) A student may enroll at the college without the benefit of financial assistance and achieve or re-establish satisfactory academic progress during this time. Once a student has done this, by increasing the grade point average and/or incremental pace, the student could be eligible for financial assistance in the following semester. 2) A student may enroll at another institution. When doing so, a student is encouraged to discuss potential class selections with the Registrar's Office to determine their eligibility for transfer back to Monmouth College. The SAP calculations would then be re-run to consider the newly earned transfer credits. When the student has successfully met the SAP requirements, their eligibility for financial assistance will be re-established and granted for the following semester. Note: This could be done over a summer semester and a student could successfully re-establish eligibility for the fall semester. These options are NOT available to students who have been dismissed from financial aid because of exceeding their maximum time frame.

Changing of Major/Program

If a student elects to change their major during their enrollment at Monmouth College, and this change is granted by the academic departments and the Registrar’s Office, the student will still be held to the Maximum Time Frame Component or 150% rule stated above. All coursework taken at Monmouth College will continue to be counted in the Qualitative (GPA) and Quantitative (Pace) formulas outlined above. The SAP status of a student will be applied in continuation from one major/program to the next.

Academic Expulsion

Academic expulsion may be imposed if a student’s performance following readmission after academic dismissal continues to fall below College standards. Such expulsion is a permanent separation of the student from the College and is noted on the transcript.

Disciplinary Dismissal and Expulsion

A student dismissed for disciplinary reasons will be given a grade of WF in cases where the work of the course has not been completed prior to dismissal. Dismissal for disciplinary reasons shall be for not less than the remainder of the academic semester in which the action was taken and not more than one academic year. Students may apply for readmission upon the completion of the period of dismissal.

A student who is expelled for disciplinary reasons will be given a grade of WF in cases where the work of the course has not been completed prior to expulsion. Students expelled for disciplinary reasons may not enroll at the College again.

Disciplinary dismissal and expulsion shall be recorded on the academic record. When dismissed or expelled from the College, a student may not be eligible for a refund.

Academic Dishonesty

Academic dishonesty may result not only in failure in the course, but in dismissal or expulsion from the College. If a student receives a course grade of F anytime during a semester due to an incident of academic dishonesty, the F will stand as the grade of record. Incidents of academic dishonesty will be reported to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Auditing a Course

To encourage students to broaden their educational experience as much as possible, Monmouth College offers students the opportunity to audit courses. Auditing means attending lecture sessions but not writing papers, participating in laboratory work, or taking exams. While the student receives no academic credit, if attendance has been satisfactory, AU will be recorded on the student’s permanent transcript.

Full-time students may audit courses without charge, if there is space available at the conclusion of the enrollment period. Part-time students will be charged an audit fee.

Students may change the audit credit to academic credit during the first week of classes; academic credit may be changed to audit credit prior to the last six weeks of the semester and such a change is reflected on the transcript. Students may later repeat an audited course for academic credit.

Course Syllabi

Each instructor provides a syllabus (or assignment sheet) for each course so that students may better understand the course goals and their responsibilities in reaching these goals. This syllabus is given to the students at the first meeting of the class. This syllabus should include:

  1. topics proposed to be covered in the course,
  2. the approximate time when specific materials are proposed to be covered, examinations taken, and papers or projects completed,
  3. the basis on which grades are determined and other relevant information regarding the course,
  4. the means by which any major change in the syllabus would be announced.

Final Examinations

The final examination period is considered to be a regular part of the academic semester. It is expected that instructors will administer final examinations in all regularly scheduled courses with the exception of independent studies.

Each final examination must be given during its assigned examination period. In those infrequent cases of courses where traditional examination procedures do not appear applicable or practical, the instructor is expected to use the scheduled examination period as a scheduled class period for the semester.


The academic program of the College is supported by a weekly convocation program. Six to 10 times a semester, at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, faculty, students, and other members of the College community gather in the Auditorium to hear an address by a guest speaker.

The first convocation in the fall semester is a Matriculation ceremony initiating freshmen into the College. Every April there is an Honors Convocation to recognize students for outstanding academic achievements.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. They are:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records to ensure that they are not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy or other rights.
  3. The right to withhold disclosure of Directory Information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
  4. The right to file with the U.S. Department of Education a complaint concerning alleged failures by Monmouth College to comply with the requirements of FERPA.
  5. The right to obtain a copy of Monmouth College’s FERPA Policy Statement which is on file in the Office of the Registrar.