Severe Weather Plan
When a Severe Thunderstorm Warning or Tornado Warning has been issued by the National Weather Service, which includes the city of Monmouth, a regroup mass notification will be sent informing students, faculty, and staff of the potential hazard.
There are two main severe weather alert dissemination methods utilized by the campus:
- Text message alerts (regroup mass notification)
- City of Monmouth will sound sirens in the event of a tornado warning. The sirens are audible across the campus grounds.
If possible, a third method could also be utilized by alerting the campus through the campus wide PA system.
If the National Weather Service issues a Severe Weather Watch:
- Closely monitor the weather via TV, the internet, NOAA weather radio, or local radio.
- Area TV Stations: WQAD – channel 8, KWQC – channel 6, WHBF – channel 4
- Area Radio Stations: WMOI – FM 97.7, WRAM – AM 1330
- Community members will determine nearest shelter locations and act if a warning is issued.
If the National Weather Service issues a Severe Weather Warning:
- Take shelter inside a sturdy building in an interior room or hallway on the lowest level, away from windows.
- Avoid buildings with wide free-span roofs.
- For Tornado Warnings:
- If possible and available, seek shelter in a basement. Otherwise, an interior room or hallway on the lowest level.
- Cover head and neck to protect from flying debris.
- If caught in a vehicle or outside, and unable to seek shelter in a sturdy building, as a last resort lie flat in a nearby ditch.
Severe Weather Terms
- Tornado Watch
- Conditions are favorable for the development of severe weather, including tornadoes, typically over the next several hours.
- Tornado Warning
- A tornado has been sighted or indicated by Doppler radar. Take shelter immediately in a basement, interior room, or hallway.
- Severe Thunderstorm Watch
- Conditions are favorable for the development of severe weather, typically over the next several hours. The tornado threat is usually low; however, tornadoes can do occur while Severe Thunderstorm Watches are in effect.
- Severe Thunderstorm Warning
- Severe weather is imminent. Take shelter immediately. Issued for quarter size hail or larger and winds of 58 mph or greater which pose a threat to life and property.