Required Core Courses for the Biochemistry Major (16 course credits):
- BIOL 200: Cell Biology (Completion of BIOL 150 is recommended prior to enrollment in BIOL 200)
- BIOL 202: Genetics
- BIOL 354/355:* Molecular Biology/Molecular Biology Laboratory (1.5 courses)
- CHEM 140: General Chemistry
- CHEM 220: Introductory Analytical Chemistry
- CHEM 228: Organic Chemistry I
- CHEM 230: Organic Chemistry II
- CHEM 312: Physical Chemistry I
- BIOC 330: Biochemistry
- BIOC 390: Advanced Biochemistry
- MATH 151: Calculus I
- MATH 152: Calculus II
- PHYS 130: Physics I
- PHYS 132: Physics II
CHEM 350 A total of 4 semesters. Two semesters must be concurrent with enrollment in CHEM 430. This is required participation component of the degree; it does not count for credit.
BIOC 430: Research (0.5 course) Students are required to participate for at least two semesters; one semester must be in the senior year. May be taken for 0.25 or 0.5 course/semester.
*Corequisite courses (must be taken concurrently)
Other Required Courses:
One upper-level science or math course
Recommended Courses Include:
One upper-level science or math course. A few courses that may be used to fulfill this requirement include:
- BIOC 300: Bioinformatics
- BIOL 302: Microbiology
- CHEM 322: Physical Chemistry II
- CHEM 340/325:* Instrumental Analysis /Integrated Laboratory (1.5 courses)
*Co-requisite courses (must be taken concurrently).
Students should consult with their advisor to determine the optional course(s) that they will use to fulfill this requirement.