We know when you get selected for verification it can be a confusing process. Our team is here to help you navigate through this process and understand what steps you need to take. Please feel free to reach out to the Office of Student Financial Planning to discuss your situation (309) 457-2129.
When a student/family complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), they may be randomly selected by the federal government for a process known as "Verification". This really is a fancy word for "audit". In general, it means that the college/university is required by the federal government to "verify" the information provided on the FAFSA application prior to awarding or disbursing aid to students. Verification can be accomplished in a couple of ways and requires a couple of steps on the part of the student/family.
First of all, completion of a Verification Worksheet is required. Verification Worksheets exist depending on the Dependent/Independent status of the student and the level of verification selected by the federal government on the FAFSA form. This form must be completed by the Independent student or by the Dependent student and their parent. The forms are attached here.
Please note that Dependent and Independent Student Levels 2 and 3 have been removed for this year.
- Dependent Student Level 1 Verification Form
- Dependent Student Level 4 Verification Form
- Dependent Student Level 5 Verification Form
- Dependent Student Level 6 Verification Form
- Independent Student Level 1 Verification Form
- Independent Student Level 4 Verification Form
- Independent Student Level 5 Verification Form
- Independent Student Level 6 Verification Form
The second part of the Verification process is to confirm the numbers filed on the Federal IRS tax return. There are a variety of ways to accomplish this task.
- A student/family may choose to request a Federal Tax Return Transcript. This tax transcript
is a computer-generated report detailing (line by line) the amounts you reported on
your federal return. The Federal Tax Return Transcript is free of charge and can be
obtained in one of the following ways:
a) Calling 1-800-908-9946 and ordering a Tax Return Transcript.
b) Visiting IRS.gov and clicking on "Get My Tax Records."
c) Completing IRS form 4506-T, which is a Request of Transcript of Tax Return.
- A student/family may utilize the Data Retrieval Tool from within the FAFSA site to retrieve their IRS tax return information electronically.
Please check your mail at home for a letter from Monmouth College requesting the documentation needed to complete the Verification process. If you have questions or are unclear on what documentation we still need from you, please call our office at (309) 457-2129 and we can provide you with the most up-to-date information and guidance.