Rights and Responsibilities
Providing equal access for students with disabilities is a shared College responsibility. An open mind and a positive attitude allow for creative alternatives for students to achieve their full potential.
As Monmouth becomes more physically accessible by removing architectural barriers, we must also work towards the removal of invisible attitudinal barriers facing students with disabilities. Cooperation is the key.
Rights and Responsibilities of Students with Disabilities
Students with disabilities registered with Disability Services have the following rights:
- Equal access to courses, programs, services, and activities offered through the College.
- An equal opportunity to learn, and to receive reasonable accommodations and academic adjustments in an effort to diminish the effect of the disability on academic functioning.
- Self-determine who will receive student released, disability related materials and information within and outside the College.
- All other rights and privileges available to students at Monmouth College.
Students with disabilities registered with Disability Services have the following responsibilities:
- Meet qualifications and maintain essential institutional standards for courses, programs, and activities.
- Self-identify as an individual with a disability when an accommodation is needed and to seek information, counsel, and assistance as necessary in a timely fashion.
- Provide requested documentation (from an appropriate professional) or otherwise demonstrate how the disability limits participation in courses, programs, services, and activities.
- Follow published procedures for obtaining reasonable accommodations, academic adjustments, and auxiliary aids and services.
Role of Disability Services
- To facilitate reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities.
- To be a resource for faculty members to help create accessible learning environments.
- To provide information to the campus community to ensure the inclusion of students with disabilities in all campus activities.