Tax Return Filing
- DO NOT USE TURBO TAX!
Mistake Made on Taxes in previous years?
If you have used Turbo Tax in the past by mistake to complete your taxes or have made any other mistake on your taxes, you must correct them with the 1040X form.
1040X - Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return
Directions for completing the 1040X
- 2017 VITA does help with International Students taxes. (Cyril Hansen-Quartey is the only one doing VITA International student Tax prep.)
- All International students must fill out the 8843 Form Students must fill out only parts I and III. Sign, date, and mail to the address in the instructions. In the mail you should have received documentation from you insurance company for the 1095-B (proof of insurance) to be submitted for federal taxes. It shows the coverage that is offered to you for the tax year. You can use this to complete your tax return, so you are not charged a federal fee for not having insurance
- Students can file with the free Federal Government Tax Returns IRS free software.
- Get your W-2 from Lynn Dulin or Deana Fisher in Lover level Polling.
- All working people in the US who get a pay check receive a W-2 from all of their employers. The IRS requires employers to report wage and salary information for employees on Form W-2. Your W-2 also reports the amount of federal, state, and other taxes withheld from your paycheck. As an employee, the information on your W-2 is extremely important when preparing your tax return.
- For the IL-1040, the state of Illinois WILL treat you as residents. You 5% tax comes out of your paycheck. The link will take you the form. Sign, date, and mail to the address in the instructions.
- International students who worked also need to prepare 4 tax forms: 1040NR-EZ, Form 8843, 1095-C, and IL-1040
- VITA instructions (Tax Form How to)
- IRS Information for Foreign Students & Scholars:
- Federal Tax forms with no payment are mailed to Department of the Treasury Internal Revenue Service Austin, TX 73301-0014
- Illinois tax forms with no payment are mailed to: ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE SPRINGFIELD IL 62719-0001
Keep copies of everything you submit to the federal government!
- The bank uses Form W-8BEN for identification purposes only, so that they know the country that they are from
(line 3) and where they are currently residing (line 4) [this would be Monmouth College].
- The student originally signed this form at the bank when he/she originally opened up their bank account.
- When the form expires, the bank will send out a new one to get a new signature and to double-check with the student their identifying information.
- The student should make any necessary corrections and send it back to the bank.
- IF the student had a social security number or an individual identification number (ITIN), they would not have been required to sign this form when they opened their account.
- IF the student has subsequently obtained a social security number or an individual identification number (ITIN), they no longer need this form. They should go to the bank and show this form and their “new card” to the bank so that it can update their status. They will no longer ever receive this form again.
- This W-8BEN has nothing at all to do with whether or not they need to file a tax return!
- ALL international students must file an 8843. You will note on the 8843 that it asks for an identification number, IF ANY. So, if none, then that box will be left blank. The rest of the form (parts I & III) must be filled out.
- If students have wages, they DO have a social security number or an ITIN. If their wages are >$4,000 they MUST file a tax return, or they may want to file anyway in order to get a refund of any taxes withheld (IF ANY were withheld).