Lux Summer Theological Institute for Youth
Sunday, July 15-Sunday, July 29, 2018
Who: Theologically curious high school students (rising sophomores through graduated seniors)
Cost: Free (including free charter bus transportation provided to and from Chicago airports)
About the Institute
Funded by a generous grant from the Lilly Endowment, this two-week summer experience is designed to provide high school youth with opportunities to engage pertinent topics in theological inquiry, learn new modes of worship and spiritual practice, participate in service, experience interfaith activities, and explore their vocation.
For more information and photos from the 2017 Summer Institute, "Feast or Famine: Thinking Theologically about Food and Food Security," visit our facebook page.
Theme for 2018
Caring for God’s Creation: Thinking Theologically About Ecology and Justice
Students will study the ways in which Christians through history have thought about nature and the earth that we say is entrusted to our care. More importantly, the Institute will consider how Christians think about the natural environment today and what we can do about the profound changes that are occurring on earth. The Institute will also explore the impact of environmental changes on our common home and human relationships.
Monmouth College is situated in a rural area with many opportunities to encounter nature, including the College’s LeSuer Nature Preserve, the Mississippi River (with opportunities for clean-up efforts), and beautiful state parks. Monmouth College is also home to an educational garden, a six-acre organic produce farm, and sustainability efforts encouraged by student and faculty programs.
- A daily schedule framed around morning and evening worship
- Intellectually challenging classes where you will immerse yourself in the study of scripture and Christian theology
- Service in the local community
- Quiet, undistracted time to reflect deeply on your sense of call or vocation
- Aesthetically-inspiring surroundings and first-class residential campus housing
- Fun and recreation with new friends
- Opportunities to learn from people of different religious traditions
- The joy of being a part of a faith-based community of mature thinkers
Register by filling out the following application by May 1, 2018.
Opportunities are available for a limited number of students. The registration deadline is May 1, 2018 but applications are reviewed and accepted on a rolling basis, so please register early to ensure full consideration!