Civil Disturbance or Demonstration
A campus demonstration should not be disrupted unless one or more of the following conditions exists as a result of the demonstration. If any of these conditions exist, the Dean On-Call should be notified and will be responsible for contacting and informing appropriate college officials. Depending on the nature of the demonstration, the appropriate procedures listed below should be followed.
- Interference with the normal operations of the college.
- Prevention of access to offices, buildings or other college facilities.
- Threat of physical harm to persons or damage to college facilities.
Peaceful, Non-Obstructive Demonstrations
Generally, demonstrations of this kind should not be interrupted. However, if demonstrators are asked to leave yet refuse to do so by regular facility closing time:
- Arrangements will be made by Campus Safety to monitor the situation during non-business hours
- Determination will be made to treat the violation of regular closing hours as a disruptive demonstration.
Non-Violent, Disruptive Demonstrations
In the event that a demonstration blocks access to College facilities or interferes with the operation of the college:
- Following notification of the Associate Dean of Students, the Associate Dean, or other designated officials will ask demonstrators to terminate the disruptive activity by allowing college officials access.
- Key College personnel and student leaders will be asked to go to the area and ask the demonstrators to desist if they do not allow access.
- If the demonstrators persist in the disruptive activity, they will be apprised that failure to discontinue may result in disciplinary action or possible intervention by civil authorities.
- After consultation with the President and other officials, the need for an injunction and intervention of civil authorities will be determined.
Violent, Disruptive Demonstrations
In the event that a violent demonstration in which injury to persons or property occurs or appears imminent, the President, Vice President for Finance and Management, Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students, and other appropriate College officials will be notified.
Campus Safety should be immediately notified of the disturbance. Campus Safety or the Dean on-call will investigate the disruption and notify the Associate Dean of Students. The objective of Campus Safety is to contain the situation until the Associate Dean Of Students (or designee) arrives, unless a clear and present danger of bodily harm requires immediate action.
The Associate Dean of Students will report the circumstances to the President and notify key administrators as appropriate. In coordination with the Vice President of Student Life and other officials determine the need for police assistance and contact the Police if needed.